Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Sugarin' time!



Warmer days and still cold nights...maple syrup time!! For the first time..EVER... I am making my own maple syrup. My brilliant scientist friend, Liann, has set me up with her knowledge and experience and we're on our way to our own home-grown, homemade maple syrup (it takes 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup and so it's a long journey!).


One of my unspoken rules of homeschooling is to surround myself with people smarter than I am to teach me and to teach my kids. I'm so thankful for Liann! She has taught me so much about plants, gardening, canning and maple syrup. I am equally thankful for another science-minded friend, Julie, who came over today and did a lesson on photosynthesis (complete with a hand-drawn illustrated worksheet) for the kids before we collected our sap.


Here are some pictures of our day! By 6 p.m. we had gathered 4 gallons of sap today. Eric proudly proclaimed "We're 1/10th of the way there!" Wouldn't it be nice to have 9 more beautiful days in a row and be done with the entire project in 10 days? I doubt it will go that smoothly and by the end I may give up before I have an entire gallon of syrup but it's been fun today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words!