Tuesday, March 23, 2010

a challenge for me and a challenge for you...

My friend, Julie, took me out for lunch today. What an sweet, sweet time of fellowship! Julie is the kind of friend who never ceases to challenge me in my faith, my spiritual walk, my marriage, etc. Today was no exception.

Julie shared with me a challenge that was given from the pulpit of her church just 2 days ago. I've decided not only to accept this challenge in my life but also to "pay it forward" by offering this challenge to all who visit this blog. I'm expecting my heart and life to be changed by this and I hope and pray that you not only take this challenge but that your heart and life are changed by it as well....

For the next 30 days, I am committed to a "media fast." In lieu of all that is going on in our nation's capital and in our government, there is much "scuttlebutt" in the media. Frankly, I know the end of the story.... according to my Bible, my God wins. However, I get really fed up with all the bickering, fighting, mudslinging, and name calling that goes on under the umbrella of "news". So, I am taking this challenge....

I am committed to turning off the media... TV, news radio, internet news... and I am instead going to consciously be praying for our nation's leaders.... for President Obama and Vice President Biden.... for Secretary of State Clinton and Senator Bayh.... for those in the White House, in Congress and on the Supreme Court. I commit on this day of March 23, 2010 to pray earnestly for those who are in leadership roles in the United States of America and in the State of Indiana.

By doing this challenge... this media fast... for 30 days I completely expect that my own attitudes will be changed and I expect that I may even begin to see people as just that... people... sinners who need a Savior, instead of seeing them as they are portrayed in the media. I think I will look at the events taking place in our country right now as less frightening and I think I will find great peace in knowing that nothing is happening now or in the future that the One who created the universe does not already know.

I highly doubt that my 30 days of praying will make any drastic changes in DC, but I know that prayer works and that this challenge will drastically change my heart.

Daniel 2:20-23

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.

He changes times and seasons;
he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.

He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.

I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers:

2 comments:

  1. Heidi,

    Kevin and I unplugged over a year ago and yes, it makes a HUGE difference! I would have labeled myself as a news junkie -- I watched network news, cable news, surfed the 'net for news and read every newspaper and news magazine I could get my hands on or afford to subscribe to. Now we can't afford those luxuries -- timewise or financially.

    Now, the only reason we turn our old fashioned behemoth tv on is to watch animated kids movies on DVD! We don't subscribe to Dish, DirecTV, or to cable. We live so far away from anywhere that we get exactly one channel now that the world has gone digital -- an indie station out of little ol' Mansfield, Ohio. The handful of times that I tuned into the news on that station, I was amused with the reports of firemen saving cats from trees, little boys' "save the world" essays in gradeschool, and other local "important" news.

    We subscribe to exactly one newspaper -- the local Loudonville Times. Only one because when I subscribed, years ago, I signed up for like a 5-year subscription!

    Do I know about the bickering and backstabbing going on both in the news and in DC? No I don't. But I can imagine it's laughable. Do I feel out-of-touch with what's going on in the world? A little bit. But would my support for the people of Haiti and Chili change if I saw the constant graphic pictures of the devastation? Probably not.

    Am I worried that I won't have the information I need to vote for people to represent me and on issues that affect my neighborhood and community? No. No. No. I am a smart woman. I am married to a smart man. And we can discuss and debate the issues, the real issues. We can download the actual proposed amendments, House or Senate bills, and anything else by going directly to the source. Why would we/should we read someone else's "translation" of the issue? Unless their "translation" was divinely inspired, it's biased, right?

    I wholeheartedly support your media fast. Believe me, your life will be not only easier, less stressful, and happier, but your wallet will be fatter when you cancel your tv, newspaper, and magazine subscriptions after 30 days! (I don't recommend disconnecting from the internet though.) :)

    You go girl!

    ~S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi~ first of all, thanks for sharing about your work-at-home job on my blog! I was thrilled to learn a bit more about you. Your writing sounds WONDERFUL! I'd love to see your curriculum sometime - I'm sure it's great!

    As for your media fast - YOU GO GIRL! You'll be blessed! We turned off our cable about 6 years ago now and we've never looked back. We live in a valley and get NO CHANNELS. We do subscribe to Netflix, so we do watch movies together as a family.

    Sometimes I feel "out of the loop" because I don't know what's going on in the world; but when I stop to really think about it, I'm actually glad. God tells us not to worry about tomorrow - yet, when we hear all this bad stuff, it's hard not to.

    I would like to join you in the "praying for our country and it's leaders" part of your media fast. I think you're right when you say it will help us gain a better perspective of them - as humans/sinners.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!