Sunday, April 18, 2010

the road less traveled...

"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:14

I've been contemplating the road less traveled lately. A few months ago, I blogged a post on feeling the stirring of the Holy Spirit in my heart. It was if the Lord was preparing me for something. Selfishly, I had hoped He was preparing me for something INCREDIBLE... like a new ministry, a house in the country, or even a way for me to make some income for our family. I guess I still don't know for sure what I was feeling but I don't think it had anything to do with a new ministry, home or job.

I have no doctrinal proof for this next statement... this is only what I have observed in my own walk with Him. It seems to me that the closer I want to walk with Him and the more I die to myself and willingly obey Him, the narrower and less traveled my road becomes. I can look back at several different times in my life when I knew that to obey God would be to do something others around me were not doing... in other words, to obey would be to chose the other path. Today, I'm wondering if the stirring I felt a few months ago was the Holy Spirit showing me a path I hadn't previously noticed.

The other path... currently, this other path that has been pointed out to me looks like a 2 track lane through a dense forrest. I know there are other sojourners further down on the path because they have shared their stories with me. However, at the entrance, this path is definitely overgrown and hasn't seen much foot traffic. It seems radical, old-fashioned and somewhat outrageous. Honestly, I don't even know, for sure, what this path has to do with our family.

Right now I'm only investigating it, contemplating it, exploring it. My modus operandi whenever I am faced with change is to read, read, read about something. I tend to immerse myself in a particular topic with the goal of obtaining enough knowledge of that subject to be able to make informed decisions based on what I have learned. I also tend to ask questions... lots and lots of questions. I've asked a lot of questions of the others on the path and I've asked even more of God.

My greatest question is this... are we being called to walk this path? If so, Jehovah God, please make us of one mind and one accord in this journey on the road less traveled.

Psalm 25:4
Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are asking God to make you of one accord for this path. That is really important. Love the photo of you and E & E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a long comment, but I was thinking of your post last night while I couldn't sleep.
    Our pastor spoke on John 21 yesterday. The passage when Jesus meets 7 of the disciples as they have fished all night and haven't caught anything. Jesus gives Peter very specific instructions on what he wants him to do. Peter asks Jesus what about John? What is he supposed to do? I had never picked up on that before. Jesus had different jobs for each of the disciples to do. I imagine God is like flight controller, mapping out a different flight plan for each of us. Our job is to obey God's instructions specific to what we are supposed to do. So maybe the reason that your road seems untraveled is because as we journey toward becoming more like Christ, we each have different paths to follow. Just like the girl in the blog you shared said. She and her boyfriend were being called down different paths. Did that make either path wrong? No, as long as we are going where God wants us to go. Just like Jesus said to Peter, don't worry about what John is supposed to do. . .feed my sheep! Just obey, even if it seems like no one else is, because we don't know what their flight plan is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!