Thursday, April 22, 2010

I thought I had certain rights...

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

When writing the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson and the other Founding Fathers of our country deemed life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to be such a basic right to humanity that it could not be given or taken away.

By the time I was 28, I had my own list of my personal unalienable rights...

... I thought I had the right to use the restroom all by myself.
... I thought I had the right to be alone when I was sick.
... I thought I had the right to eat my own food on my own plate while it was still hot.
... I thought I had the right to decide what I would do each day.
... I thought I had the right to a private shower.
... I thought I had the right to some quiet time each day.
... I thought I had the right to a clean room if I cleaned it up.
... I thought I had the right to the food I purchased and placed in my refrigerator.
... I thought I had the right to listen to my favorite music in my vehicle.
... I thought I had the right to my own computer that I purchased.
... I thought I had the right to decide where I would go each day.
... I thought I had the right to 8 hours of sleep a night.

and, then... I became a mother.... and my children had never heard of unalienable rights.

My children stripped me of my selfishness and taught me that motherhood is the greatest calling ever!

1 comment:

Thank you for your kind words!