Tuesday, January 17, 2012

{virtual coffee} again...

maybe caffeine would help?!?

Good morning... it's a yucky, rainy, cold and mostly miserable day outside... a GREAT day for {virtual coffee} dontcha think?

Joining up with Amy to sip some virtual coffee together today.  Care to join us?


Ellen and I brought school to the library today.  Doesn't she looked thrilled?  I have to confess that I've kinda let school slide a little lately.  Not that I'm a rigid homeschool mom; but, even to my standards, things have slipped a bit.   What, with writing a book and now working on a sequel, celebrating Christmas and New Year with friends and family, almost running over myself, passing out toys for Toy Time, and waiting for puppies to be born... it seems as if I don't have enough of me to do it all and school too.

I used to worry about such times in our lives... worry that my kids weren't learning enough, getting enough, being enough, whatever enough.  Somehow, putting the two older in school has changed my perspective greatly.  They both were homeschooled.  They both transitioned beautifully.  They both have high GPA's.  They're fine.  Ellen will be fine too.  So, I don't worry anymore over the days when we stay in our pj's and read 3 entire Boxcar Children books or the days when we make Bosco sticks, hot pockets, mini pies, cookies and granola bars for the other kid's school lunches.  

Just think of all the time I've wasted worrying!  So, today we push the "restart" button and we work diligently on our schoolwork while still having fun at the library.

Speaking of libraries... I think mine is about the best around.  You know, we could actually have our coffee here?  Yep, my library is cool like that.  Just make sure you keep the lid on.... ; )

I've been attempting to make my own coffee creamer at home.  So far... I'm undecided on it.  I'd like to do it to cut cost and preservatives but not so sure it's worth it.  I'll keep you posted on different recipes I try.  Here's the one from today...

Honey Almond Coffee Creamer
1 can sweetened evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. milk
1/4. c. honey
1/8 t. almond extract

Pour all into a 1 quart canning jar and tighten lid.  Shake well until all honey and condensed milk is mixed in.  Store in fridge and use with your favorite coffee.

... this is the recipe I like best, thus far.  I've tried vanilla and pumpkin spice.  Still not as good as Sweet Italian Cream, which is, by far, my fave!!

In this little chat, Ellen has finished her school work.  Time for us to move on.  

Hope you have an amazing Tuesday.  Thanks for joining me!