Wednesday, July 21, 2010

don't choose to be the cause...

Ah, the joys of parenting a teen boy...


My dad blogged yesterday about his memories of being a teen boy and how he prays for his grandsons.  It's a good thing the effective prayers of a righteous man accomplish much because if it were not for the prayers of his Papa, my 13 year old son may not live to see the age of 18....


We've known for a while that our extended cab truck is too small.  When we purchased it 6 years ago to pull our 5th wheel, all 3 kids fit nicely in the back seat with room to spare.... 


A lot can change in six years.  Now we have a 5 ft 11 in 13 year old with size 13 feet who feels like he needs the entire back seat to himself.  This leads to a lot of instigating arguments and antagonizing his sisters... which leads to "ERIC! Stop it!  Mom!!" or "Mom, tell Eric to leave me alone!"... which, in turn, leads to "Eric! Knock it off!" ... and then... "But, Mom..."


Sometimes the calm wisdom of my husband astounds me and yesterday was no exception.  After the aforementioned conversations took place, my husband calmly said...


"Eric, don't choose to be the cause of the conflict, choose to be the resolution!"  


Quietly, my son pondered those words.  


While he still chooses to be the cause of conflicts, I am praying that he will instead choose to be the resolution...


Oh, that my son would grow into a man who chooses to be the resolution to a conflict, rather than the cause of one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words!