Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschoolingl My High Schooler

The people at The Old Schoolhouse magazine have asked me to review an ebook entitled "Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler". I laughed at God's timing in having me read this ebook. This is has actually been my prayer over the past few weeks...Lord, HELP!

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of ebooks. I understand that the world is becoming more and more digital and that Kindle and iPad and other electronic devices are paving the way for paper books to become obsolete. For someone, like me, who loves to hold a book in her hands and feel it, smell it and read it, an ebook is not a first choice. Therefore, I highly doubt I would have read this book, if I had not been asked to review it. This would have been my loss!

I love reading "real life" stories. Stories that I can learn from of people who have journeyed ahead of me. This book offers that! Fifteen homeschool moms chimed in and offered advice, resources and assistance for those seeking to begin homeschooling high school. These different moms came from different backgrounds, different states and all had individual stories. Some worked through learning disabilities and some worked through personal health issues. Others worked through homeschooling while moving a lot, losing a home to a house fire and homeschooling bright and gifted children. While no two of the stories were the same, they were all similar in that all of the writers gave glory to God for their success in graduating their children from their own home schools.

Reading this ebook today was like a breath of spring air on a cold and snowy February day. My soul needed the encouragement and my brain needed the ideas these veteran homeschool moms had to offer. I found great encouragement in reading that my family isn't the only family that has three distinct learners with three distinct learning patterns and personalities. I learned, anew, that each of my children, with their strengths and weakness, is capable of great things in life. I am now looking forward to walking through high school with each of them and observing them as they discovered who God created them to be.

"Help Lord, I'm Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler" is a great book full of incredible encouragement written by moms who readily admit they don't have all of the answers but they know the One who does. The editors also have included several pages of resources specifically designed for those homeschooling through high school. I would highly recommend this ebook to anyone struggling, as I have been, with the daunting task of homeschooling for high school.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I agree with you about real books - I just love them! However, since beginning my job with The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, I have really learned the value of e-books also. I hope that you will as well. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!