Sunday, December 06, 2009

things are not always what they seem....

Today I had the privilege of watching my seven year old friend, Sadie Jo, perform in our community theater's production of The Sound of Music. Sadie was a very convincing Gretl and the production was WAY better than the movie!

Watching Sadie today got me thinking.... Because Sadie's family is close to our family, I've had a bit of an "inside" view of this experience. I knew Sadie was auditioning for the part and had a chance to hear her practice "Do Re Mi" several times before the big audition day. I prayed all audition day for Sadie and I rejoiced with her when, hours after auditions began, she was chosen to play the part of Gretl.

I'm sure that you can imagine that there were some envious girls among us, moms and daughters. Who wouldn't be? The thrill of the stage, the lights, the cameras, the action. Not to mention the newspaper write-ups and the adoring fans. Sadie was living the dream!

One of my dearest prayer partners is Sadie's mom, Nikki. Nikki has shared with me what the last few weeks have been like for our little Gretl... Thanksgiving weekend was 12 or more hours of practice a day for Sadie. All this past week she has had long, long days of practice some going until late in the evening. Including demanding technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals. Each rehearsal was closed to Sadie's family; they would drop her off and hours later return to pick up a worn out 7 year old. This weekend, Sadie had 4 performances and she has 12 more to go before the musical closes. What seemed like a dream has become just plain hard work.

Have you ever had an experience in life similar to Sadie's? An experience that you thought would be a dream but instead it turned out to be hard work? I think we all have. Often we buy the lie that this or that will bring us happiness, fame, glory, etc., only to find out that that thing was not what it seemed. Instead of being the dream that we imagined it to be, it turned out to be a lot of grunt work with long hours and late nights.

So much of what the world promises is not what it seems. After 40 years in the "school of hard knocks" you would think I would have mastered this. There are so many times that I buy into the world's lies... chase the allusive dreams... only to realize that that dream was not what it seemed.

Today was a great reminder to "count the cost". I want to abide in Him and stay close to Him. For He says "come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." When I stay close to Him, I don't chase the dream that promises me lights, cameras and an adoring crowd, because in Him I am fulfilled. I'm learning it's a lot easier to abide than to chase the allusive dream and find out that things are not always what they seem.


Sadie, I hope you look back on your experience as Gretl with fond memories! Thank you for allowing me glimpses of how hard you have worked and thank you for the joy you brought to us while you danced and sang on the stage!! Thank you for being used of God to remind me that things are not always what they seem. I'm proud of you and I love you!!! ~Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words!