Thursday, December 08, 2011

frozen in fear... and thawing out of it...

I've been frozen in fear for a while now... didn't realize it, though, until I heard Jennie Allen talk about being stuck in fear (I reviewed her Stuck Bible study here).  


Sometimes I find myself so stuck that the "what if... " questions become comfortable companions.  


What if I fail?
What if they don't like it?
What if I embarrass myself?
...my loved ones?
What if someone hates it?
What if they reject me?
what if...
what if...
what if...

I live with those question and a thousand more and allow them to become close friends.  I allow them to fill my mind, my thoughts, my waking moments.  I spend all my time with them 24/7.


The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. 
On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself 
up against the knowledge of God, 
and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 
And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, 
once your obedience is complete.
2 Corinthians 10:4-6

Slowly... ever so slowly... I'm learning that way out of being frozen in fear is to surrender to the Son.  When I surrender my thoughts... those thoughts that have plagued me... I surrender to One greater than I who sees what I do not.  

Sometimes He calls me to surrender the fear to His care and walk away.  Other times, He calls me to surrender the fear to His care and trust Him as I face the very thing of which I am afraid.

...either way, the thaw comes from the warmth of the Son...
 and in His Light, I bloom where I am planted.  


1 comment:

  1. Fear is a powerful thing, and it's so easy to allow it to gain a stronghold in our lives. Blessings to you as you seek to allow the peace of the Lord to conquer the fear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!