Thursday, January 14, 2010

cold nights and hot chai

One of my all-time favorite "comfort foods" is a big mug of hot chai. I love it!!

A few years ago, Chad and I decided to work our way out of debt. While he worked as much overtime at the hospital as he could, I worked on changing habits and learning how to make things myself . I learned to indulge myself for less or not indulge at all. Trips to the coffee shop fell under the category of "not indulge at all."

One such thing that I learned to make was chai. I actually prayed that God would show me how to make some sort of facsimile of Big Train Chai (the brand that I fell in love with at our local coffee shop) that wouldn't cost much. The greatest lesson I learned during the two years of getting out of debt wasn't how to make chai. Rather I learned that God wants to be God of our everything. He wants to teach us things and bless us beyond our expectations.

He did that, for me, with this recipe for chai. This is recipe that is always evolving, always improving and always perfect on a cold winter's night.

Chai
2 c. powdered milk
2. c. plain non-dairy coffee creamer
3 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. instant tea (I use instant green tea)
1-15 oz vanilla non-dairy coffee creamer
2-3 T. cinnamon (more or less depending on taste)
1-2 T. pumpkin pie spice (more or less depending on taste)
Mix together well. Pour dry mix into either a blender or food processor to make into a fine powder (this also combines the flavors better)
Stir into hot water and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words!