Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I want to be a Jesus fanatic!

Been thinking a lot lately of being a Jesus fanatic. I want to be one. I want to be known as one. But I don't want the emphasis to be on the fanatic part of that definition...instead I want it to be all about Him.

As I've thought through this, I realized I want to be a Jesus fanatic the way Jesus was a fanatic... not in the way I've seen others. I've seen enough people who claim to be Jesus Freaks, Jesus Fanatics, etc who seem to be about everything except Jesus. It seems as if by claiming to be a Jesus Fanatic, these people are giving themselves a platform on which to preach against everything from abortion to professional wrestling. Sometimes the platform becomes much more about these people getting attention for themselves and a lot less about Jesus.

I don't want to be that way. I want to be like Him! He was neither dramatic nor was He out to impress people. He didn't do things to draw attention to Himself, rather everything He did was to draw attention to God. His very presence was what some found offensive, because His presence was God's presence. The words Jesus spoke were not to bring glory to Himself in any way, instead those words taught people about His Father, God Almighty. Everything Jesus did was purposeful. He knew His time was limited and He made the most of every opportunity. He was fanatic about living His life to please His Father!

I will never be Jesus because He was God incarnate. However, I want to be known as a woman who sought to be like Christ. I want my life to draw attention to Him and my words to bring Him glory. I want everything I do to be purposeful and I want to make the most of every opportunity.

Because I am human, I fail every single day at this goal. However, I don't want to give up striving to be a Jesus fanatic. I want to be fanatic in such a way that people don't remember me as being Chick and Sally's daughter or Chad's wife. I want to live a life that is more than being Eric, Emily and Ellen's mom. I don't want to be known as an Indianapolis Colts fan. I want to be recognized, known and remembered as being a Jesus fanatic. Nothing more. Nothing less. Nothing else!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words!