Monday, February 21, 2011

Encouraging Moments... a Gabby Mom review

I am an avid reader.  And, for me, reading is sensory.  I use more than just my sense of sight when I read... I love the feel of a book, especially one that is printed on thick, quality paper and is bound well... I love the smell of the ink and paper of a new book and the smell of the years gone by of an old book... and, I love the sound of the pages turning.  I love reading books, magazines, newsletters, articles... even cereal boxes early in the morning.

In this day and age, it's hard to be a sensory reader because more and more publications are electronic.  As much as I love my macbook, there just isn't the same enjoyment in reading ebooks, ezines, enewsletters or any other epublication on it... it's hard to feel the book or magazine, smell the ink and hear the pages turn....

So, here's my great confession... I really dislike epublications.  

I keep thinking I will grow up and grow to like them but it's just not happening for me yet.  So, when I found out that my February assignment for Gabby Moms was to review Encouraging Moments, the enewsletter for Eternal Encouragement (formerly TEACH magazine), I was less than excited... no crisp newsletter feel... no inky smell... no swish of turning pages... in a word, boring.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was wrong.

index.php.jpg

Encouraging Moments, a free enewsletter for moms... wives... homemakers, is not boring.  Mrs. Lorrie Flem, founder of Eternal Encouragement, does a wonderful job of publishing an organized and informative newsletter that is encouraging, God-honoring and easy to navigate.  


The publishers even include short video clips called Chick Flicks for Mom. These short video clips of Lorrie Flem offer some quick and easy tips for parenting, marriage and godly living.

My favorite part?  Encouraging Moments is one of the few enewsletters that I've read that doesn't have a hundred and one distracting links to it.  Instead, it is crisp and clean and easy to read.

I'm not sure I'm willing to cross over to epublications just yet.  I'll take my hard copies any day but for a quick encouraging word, I'll definitely be enjoying Encouraging Moments enewsletter.

Check it out for yourself at www.homemakingwithteach.com and sign up for their FREE enewsletter along the left side bar.

**disclaimer... I was given Encouraging Moments enewsletter for my honest review of this product.  I received no other compensation.

9 comments:

  1. I like your honesty and the way you explained how you still enjoyed reading this newsletter.

    Julieanne
    fellow Gabby Mom
    http://www.JoyInOurJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I share your passion of the physical book/magazine/newsletter in my hands. I have started using a e-reader every now and again, but I still prefer a good, old fashioned book. ;)

    My husband thinks it's rather funny since I really do enjoy technology. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog header and beautiful photography down the side! THanks for sharing your review--love the font, too!

    Jenny
    Fellow Gabby Mom
    http://www.manyhatsmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciated your honesty. I, too, like the fact that it wasn't too busy and easy to navigate.

    Jada another Gabby Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review. I enjoy hard copies more than e-zines as well, but certainly found Encouraging Moments to be worth the read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog and great review :)
    Carie (another Gabby Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved how you described your appeal to hold in your hand what you are reading. I share that love!
    I even considered printing it out so I could hold it....hahaha
    fellow Gabby Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know just what you mean about printed things, I love them. But for an epublication, I think Eternal Mmoments is pretty good too.

    Love,
    LOrrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all- your blog looks wonderful! Really shaping up nicely! I LOVE your header! Nice work mama!

    Second- I hear ya on the physical book front. I have had a hard time overcoming that also- especially since I am an underliner! I am hoping that once I get a good e-reader it will help me over come that, and I am leaning towards it just for space and cost issues, but I will ALWAYS love the feel of a book in my hands! My FAVORITE is the smell of a new Bible and the crack of the fresh leather- nothing like it!

    MacKenzie
    Head Mama

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!