Tuesday, August 31, 2010

peace, be still...

But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, 
“Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” 
Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, 
“Peace, be still!” 
And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, 
“Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?”
Mark 4:38-40 NKJV

In the year 2010, the Master is still calming storms.  Tonight, through these words read to my by a dear friend, the raging storm in my heart ceased and my soul calmed.

Forgive me for my ranting and raving in my last post over the health care system in the United States.  Yes, it is flawed; but even in 2010, there are people on this earth who do not have the opportunity to see a doctor, to go to a hospital, to have a head CT done, etc., etc...  In light of this, who am I to complain?  

After taking care of the immediate situation... the storm that raged, Jesus asked this of His disciples...
"Why are you so fearful?  How is it that you have no faith?"

He asks the same question of me tonight.  The storm in my soul has settled but now I am faced with His questions... why am I so fearful?  How is it that I have no faith?"

It's humbling to realize the storm that raged in my heart was born out of fear... fear of the unknown... fear of the what-ifs... fear of the wait and the uncertainty.  It's also equally humbling to know that somewhere along the short journey between Friday and today I let go of trust and gave into fear.... knowing that I brought this storm into my heart rather than rest under the wings of my Creator, humbles me to the core.  I have no one to blame but myself.  

Nothing in God's plan for my life... Chad's life... Ellen's life has changed except my reaction to this situation.  God hasn't changed.  Nor has His love for my daughter changed. He created her... He loves her... He knows her.  

I am the one who changed when I went from trusting an all-knowing, all-loving God to being being fearful and trusting no one.  I chose to cling to all the unknowns in fear rather than rest in the knowledge that there is One who knows all.

There are no unknowns with God.  He sees all.  He hears all.  He knows all.  He is Master and Commander and to the storms that rage, He says...

"peace, be still"

2 comments:

  1. I love this story of Jesus calming the water. I love that he knew we'd be susceptible to fear. Throughout the Bible, he reminds us 365 times, "Do not fear."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought you seemed very calm yesterday when we talked. Amazingly so. . .I was going to comment on that to you today.

    So, maybe he already was calming the storm and just a little squall came up and you needed a bit more reassurance!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!