Friday, May 04, 2012

velveteen real... 5 minute Friday

It's Friday... well, just barely... but Friday, nonetheless... thus, it is 5 minute Friday time!!


It's that time, where, to quote Lisa Jo, aka the gypsy mama, we write...


On Fridays over here a group of people who love to go all out buck wild for the fun of the written word gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes. Unscripted. Unedited. Real.


Today's topic... real...




GO


What is real?  It's a question a soft and smooth bunny once asked.  He asked the old and worn and well played with horse this question.  Perhaps the rabbit was simply making conversation... or, perhaps, he was seeking.  Seeking something that seemed unattainable.


Real.  I want it.  I seek it.  It often alludes me.  


I think I want it.  I think I want to be real... to show the real me... until I look in a mirror.  What looks back is not what I want to be seen.  Just as when I reveal the "real" me, what comes out is not what I want others to see.


Being real is a great catch phrase.  It's a great excuse.   It's not for the faint of heart.  For being real requires courage... being authentic requires strength.  Revealing the "real" me requires me to strip of the pride, self-righteousness, and arrogance that I clothe myself in to hide the naked truth... I am a mess.


What is real?  For me... for such a time as this... real is the opposite of having it all together and acting as such.  


It's much easier to pretend than to be real.  Perhaps someone should have told the Velveteen Rabbit that all those years ago.  


...but, then again, the old horse might have been on to something when he told the little bunny that though being real hurt, it was worth it because when you are real, you are loved.


STOP



7 comments:

  1. Another wrote on the velveteen rabbit too! Yes, it's scary and difficult to know when to show our real selves, but the awesome thing is He know the real us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Velveteen Rabbit. I also loved what you had to say. I don't think any of us have it all together. Being real does take so much courage! But it is worth it! Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In line with the Velveteen Rabbit idea, I think you hit on something here: strip of the pride, self-righteousness, and arrogance that I clothe myself in. When we can be that kind of real, we can find people who really love us. Because when we be that kind of real, we can really love without expectation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great five minutes! It's interesting though...I found faking it to be harder and more exhausting. There is so much freedom in real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is worth it. Thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote of the Velveteen rabbit too...and yes real is not for the faint of heart. Great post...blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this story. I like that we are loved when we are worn and without some hair... ie not so perfect anymore. I think that is how we feel fully loved, when we allow ourselves to be seen as not so perfect anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!